Thursday, September 20, 2012

Chicken Salad Sandwich

I can't say that I've ever had a chicken salad sandwich, so quite frankly I have no idea what they taste like, but when I think shower food, I equate it to chicken salad sandwiches. I don't know, something about women sitting around eating salads and sandwiches comes to my mind first. I got this recipe from America's Test Kitchen. If you don't know what it is, google it, it will change your life. Okay maybe not really, but EVERY recipe I've made in this cookbook has come out fantastic. So without further ado:

Chicken Salad Sandwiches

Ingredients:
  • 1 3/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
  • 2 Ribs of Celery, chopped fine
  • 3/4 Cup Mayonnaise
  • 2 Scallions, minced
  • 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice (people kept noting the slight lemon flavor and how much they liked it, I wouldn't skip this part)
  • 2 Tablespoons minced fresh parsley
Side Note: The recipe does say that you can also add 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon or basil

Directions:
  1. Season t:e chicken with salt and pepper
  2. Heat the oil in 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat until shimmering
  3. Carefully add the chicken and cook until lightly golden brown on the first side, about 5 minutes
  4. Flip the chicken over, cover and continue to cook until it is no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes longer.
  5. Transfer chicken to a plate and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.
  6. Cut the chilled chicken into 1/4-inch pieces and toss with the remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Another side note: I baked the chicken, at 350 for about 15 minutes instead.

I doubled the recipe and then bought a package of croissants, cut them open, and then filled with chicken salad, then cut those in half, so that people didn't have to eat a whole sandwich. I just about used all of the chicken, minus maybe 1 or 2 sandwiches worth of salad.

And the result is:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment