Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Honey Lime Shrimp


For Whatever Wednesdays  Alissa and Shay, okay more Alissa then Shay...wanted us to post a recipe. (Alissa if you want more of my recipes click on my recipes tab, created just for you today, seriously.)

For our picnic in the park, I decided to make my quinoa salad and then I thought that some shrimp would be a really good picnic food. So I set off to find a recipe. I came across this recipe on what other then Pinterest. It has only 8 ingredients, and 6 of them I already had in my pantry, win for me. So here it is.

Stole this picture from The Dough Will Rise Again

We were supposed to meet friends at 6pm at the park, I started this at 4, should have started sooner, but I was napping, which felt great and I woke up refreshed and ready to tackle a concert in the park.

What you'll need:

1/2 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined (although I used 1 pound with the same amount of marinade and it worked great)
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tablespoons honey
Juice of one small lime, or half a large lime (2-3 T)
Zest of one small lime, or half a large lime
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

Step 1:

It says to use a Ziploc bag, I figured I would put the ziploc in a small bowl so that I wasn't messing with trying to keep the bag open while pouring in ingredients.




Step 2:

Add Olive Oil


Lime Zest


Lime Juice


If you don't have one of these bad boys, you must go get one right now! Life saver and you get all of the juice out!

2 Tablespoons of Honey


2 garlic cloves - recipe says smashed, but I went the easy route and just used my garlic press


1/2 tsp kosher salt, 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes and 1/4 tsp black pepper. I just winged this, close enough, and I didn't want to make it too spicy in case one of the kids wanted one. Also my measuring spoons were currently in the dishwasher.



Step 3:

Mix ingredients



Step 4:

I used the frozen shrimp from Costco (2 pounds costs $20), I used half the bag, apparently I can't read and I thought the recipe called for a pound of shrimp, guess I was wrong, but it worked out in the end.


Step 5:

Put shrimp in bag and put in fridge to marinate. I've read on the comments that people do this anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours. I did mine for just 40 minutes because that's all the time I had.


Step 6:

Cook shrimp in skillet, no need to add any more oil, it already has enough.



I did it in batches and had two skillets going. It only took about 10 minutes to cook all of the shrimp. We were out the door with it still hot and got to the park just as our friends were arriving. Perfect timing!

In the haste to get out the door, I forgot to take a picture of all of the cooked shrimp, just look at the 1st picture and think, with tails on. Mine pretty much looked the same.



Follow on Bloglovin

8 comments:

  1. oh my gosh sarah this recipe looks amazing. i love shrimp and definitely will be making this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much work, so I'll just come over when you make it, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love me a good shrimp recipe. Did you add honey to yours? Didn't see it in your pics. Looks yummy, just need some rice with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum.... we have prawns all the time (fun fact: Australians actually call shrimp 'prawns', and i have never said 'throw another shrimp on the barbie'. I also don't have a pet koala)

    How have a never marinaded prawns in a glad bag! It seems so obvious and no washing up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, yum! This looks and sounds so delish!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete