Tuesday, January 12, 2016

How To Make A Rainbow Checkered Cake

As promised here is my tutorial on how I made Baby Fox's Birthday Rainbow Cake. As you know I followed this tutorial, but really it's not as hard as it may seem, really. I'm going to show you how easy it is.



First, I bought the supplies:

You will need thesepans


Thesecircular cutters



And I bought two sets of colors, this one*and this one*for the specific colors I was looking for (more on this later)



Directions:

I made a cake...from scratch. Last year I made a box cake and it was just too soft and moist (I know such a problem right?) but it was too soft and it just cracked immediately when I tried to cut it. I learned from my mistakes and made one from scratch. I made the white cake from my America's Test Kitchen* cookbook.

I then divided the cake into 6 parts (using my kids plastic bowls*). Of course the cake pan set only came in a set of 5, so I colored 5 of them right away and then waited to color the last one until I was ready to bake it.

For coloring the cake mix, learn from my mistake...I tried to use Wilton coloring* one year for a rainbow cake and the colors were not nearly as vibrant. I was so happy that I bought the AmeriColor*, the colors were vibrant and so much easier to mix than the Wilton color.

This is what 5 of them looked like going into the oven, I made the red one after these came out of the oven and cooled.


After they were all cooled I cut the top and bottoms off (to get rid of the little bits of brown), and then stacked them and trimmed off all of the sides, so that there were no brown parts, I just want all of the vibrant colors to come through when cut.

Once that was all done, I laid them out and used the cookie cutters to cut the circles, obviously I did this with all of the colors.



I made some frosting, I used the Wilton recipe for frosting (My Cupcake Addiction also has a recipe, but her's uses milk and I don't have room in the fridge to store a cake).

I used a little bit of frosting in between each circle and mixed and matched all of the circles. How cool does that look?


I then stacked them with a bit of frosting in between each layer, and then crumb coated it and put it in the freezer for about an hour (mostly because I got busy and was doing something else).


I was then able to put the last layer of frosting on and add a batman symbol that I made. For that I printed out a batman symbol, then bought some store bought black frosting in a tube and melted some Black Wilton Chocolate* and filled it in.


I did try My Cupcake Addictions method to get the smooth sides but it didn't work. I think maybe if you were using her icing it might have worked, mine was a little too soft. The best part was when we cut into the cake and Baby Fox was so excited and surprised to see what was inside.


For minimal effort, you get a big bang for your buck, go ahead and try it for your next cake.

Linking up with That DIY PartyTweek it TuesdayMad Skills Party Fabulous PartyWeekend Retreat , Tuesday Talk,  Wake Up Wednesday Linky Party, Let's Be Friends Blog Hop, Wildly Original,

No comments:

Post a Comment